California Will Sue Trump over Emergency Wall Declaration

California Will Sue Trump over Emergency Wall Declaration

A group of 16 states filed suit if federal court in California to stop President Donald Trump’s emergency declaration to fund a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, The Washington Post reported.

Earlier in the day, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra told MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports” he planned to file California’s lawsuit.. He didn’t specify which other states would join, but officials in Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada announced that they would challenge Trump.

Becerra says there is no emergency at the border and Trump doesn’t have the authority to make the declaration.

Trump declared a national emergency to fulfill his promise of completing the wall.

The move allows the president to bypass Congress to use money from the Pentagon and other budgets.

California has repeatedly challenged Trump in court. Becerra has filed at least 45 lawsuits against the administration.

The suit seeks a preliminary injunction against Trump’s play to move federal funding to pay for the wall. It was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.


© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Source link

Share This With Others:
Feb 19, 2019 - -

Comments are closed.